Tuesday, April 20, 2021

My Time Online - Final Blog Post

 Although I hate to admit it, my online presence is pretty widespread. It's not as large as others my age, but a laggard would look at all my accounts and be amused with my social media life. Because I've grown up in the digital age, social media and the internet have unfortunately become the backbone of my generation's society.  Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, and even Facebook, regulate our daily lives. 


Looking back on my time in Media Law and Literacy (which I wish was the whole semester, instead of just half of it), I've gained a deeper sense of the role that technology plays in our lives. Something as little as submitting your opinion to a poll can change the entire algorithm that applications use to influence you, explaining why the internet and social media are so influential from political and social standpoints. Is the Spotify advertisement about Dunkin' Donuts playing when you order in the drive-through a coincidence or not? Most likely the latter. 

As I've questioned the health of my relationship with technology, I've also researched the overall effects that technology has had on my generation, Generation Z. Not only has technology created new communication pathways, but it has also influenced the decreased connection to the real world. Voices of America states this revelation clearly saying, "Online and social media, for example, have opened up the world for Gen Zers, encouraging them to connect and collaborate with others around the world. But they also allow Gen Zers to shut out the outside world and live within online communities and echo chambers.". Unfortunately, many people from my generation don't know how to properly communicate because they've grown up nose-deep in technology. Yes, the world is ever-changing thanks to advanced technology, however, in order to get employed or create a strong reputation for yourself, you have to know how to communicate with others. For example, my 17 year old sister absolutely HATES talking to people - she won't even ask a server to refill her drink at a restaurant. Due to my parents' concerns, she is putting herself out there more and is willing to speak in more situations, however, she prefers to handle confrontations through her phone. It's hard for me to imagine how far she will get in life without have the confidence and skills necessary for proper communication. Thank goodness I love to talk to anyone about anything! 

Although I see technology in a scarier light now, I can't deny how useful it is. I truly don't know what I would do without my cell phone, and as much as I wish I could live without it, I don't think I could. Being able to call my Aunt and Uncle who live in Japan - all the way on the other side of the world, being able to track my family's location when going on long road trips, being able to attend ZOOM classes, internships, or interviews when the entire world shuts down due to a global pandemic? Without technology, none of these things would be possible. As Dr. Caroline Figueroa from UC Berkeley School of Social Welfare states "[Since] we [were] unable to engage in face-to-face contact, remote communication through our personal digital devices, such as our smartphones, [was] essential for staying connected with friends, family and co-workers.". Who knows what our world would've looked like without that escape from reality? Although mental health issues are a result of social media, depression from increased isolation would've been diagnosed at a much higher rate without access to FaceTime, texting, or other forms of digital communication.

Thinking about the future generations' lives is very scary. My generation, Generation Z, was truly the last to have normal, imaginative childhoods (before iPods became the 'traditional' toy). My sisters and I would play 'House', pretend like we were pop stars at a concert, or create our own carnival outside - no technology was involved. Now, kids are glued to iPads, TV screens, or laptops. There are more restrictions due to the dangers of cyberspace and children have to be monitored 24/7. Unfortunately, some parents rely on devices to babysit their children in public spaces, such as restaurants, malls, or get-togethers - no wonder children are becoming 'behavior problems' and parental-child relationships are steadily decreasing. 

As much as I'd like to say that I've been more cautious of my online presence ever since Media Law and Literacy, I'd rather not lie on my final blog - especially when this is based upon technology bias and dangers. Although I'm still highly active on my Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook accounts, I have actually deleted my Twitter app and I barely get sucked into the world of TikTok anymore. I know that's not a lot, but it's a start; stopping any "addiction" requires lots of baby steps! 


Sources

https://dlab.berkeley.edu/blog/surprising-role-digital-technology-during-covid-19-pandemic

https://www.voanews.com/student-union/gen-z-born-be-digital

Notes from COM 1450-01, Media Law and Literacy 



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Time Online - Final Blog Post

  Although I hate to admit it, my online presence is pretty widespread. It's not as large as others my age, but a laggard would look at ...